Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Intro, Tips, Goals

So I'm new to this whole blogging thing but I figured I'd try it out. I'm a college student, freshman to be exact, and not only do I not want to gain the dreaded freshman 15 but I want to stay healthy and fit like when I came here. So far I've been doing pretty well. I've been exercising about an hour a day at least six days a week. That ends up being less than I used to do but it's hard to find the time. I vary it up and go with different people to make it fun. I use the gym for strength, go on the rec trail for running, go to classes like spinning and use the olympic size pool for swimming! Take the stairs as much as you can, even if you're on the 11th floor of a building like me! Food wise I'm staying pretty healthy but I have to admit I could do better. I have salad around twice a week, have decided to go vegetarian and eat a lot of fruits and veggies. Here are some tips for eating healthy in the dining hall:
1. Have an idea of what you want to eat before you see the food, that way you can bypass the unhealthy options and not be tempted.
2. Try to fill a large portion of your plate with veggies so there is less room for high-calorie foods.
3. Drink water not soda
4. Be careful of sauces and condiments on foods
5. Opt for whole grain breads and bagels
6. Don't sit near/walk by deserts (chances are they're not as good as homemade anyway!)

I try to follow these rules but sometimes I have to give in. For example on mine or friends birthdays I have had cake and of course on National Ice Cream day I had to have ice cream. Just have all good things in moderation and that way you won't be as tempted. I've actually been able to lose weight since I came here and want to keep that up.

Goals for This week:
1. Go for a 90 minute run
2. Only eat desert once

No comments:

Post a Comment